Our short break supports are flexible and person-centred; ranging from planned regular short breaks of just a few hours or up to a few weeks, through to support in times of crisis or emergency.
They can be community-based, offered in the person's family home or in our specially adapted short break accommodation, which is currently available in Annan, Stranraer and Nairn. We also have a fully accessible holiday lodge available for rent. This is based in Wemyss Bay Holiday Park and if you would like to know more about this, contact Wemyss Bay Lodge.
To make sure that the person and their family get what want from their short break experience we:
- Get to know the person and involve them and their family planning in the short break
- Work alongside other professionals and people important in the person's life
- Build upon each person's existing support plans and risk assessments to maintain consistency.
People use their short breaks in lots of different ways, for example:
- Enjoying a holiday
- Trying new interests
- Learning skills for life
- Enjoying leisure and social activities.
Each person who uses our short breaks support also has a plan of what they want to achieve from this time, which could include:
- Taking a break from day-to-day routines
- Resting and recharging batteries
- Meeting new people and maintaining friendships
- Experiencing new things
- Increasing independence.
By accepting, you will be accessing a service provided by a third party external to key.org.uk.